How You Can Help
There are many ways you can support the STARS Fund. To make a monetary donation, please download, print and fill out the attached form (below). Make your check payable "STARS Fund" and mail it to:
STARS Fund c/o
Bank of America Philanthropic Managment
PO Box 55850
Boston, MA 02205-5850
(Internet credit card payments coming soon)
Some more facts:
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted by age 18 (Finkelhor, et al., 1990).
- On average, from 1992-2000, only 31% of all rapes and sexual victimizations were reported to the police(Hart, Timothy and Rennison, 2000).
- Probability that an arrest will be made when a rape is reported: 1:2. (50.8%) (National Center for Policy Analysis, 1999).
- The overall probability that a rapist will be sent to prison for his crime: 16.3%. The average sentence: 128 days. (National Center for Policy Analysis, 1999).
- 7 in 10 rape and sexual assault victims know their attacker prior to the assault. (Rennison, 2000).
- Chances that a woman will develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after being raped are between 50% and 95%. (Population Information Program, 1999).
- One study estimated that, in one 12 month period, 302,091 adult American women and 92,748 adult American men experience a completed or attempted rape. Because some persons suffer multiple rapes, it is estimated that 876,064 rapes of adult American women and 111,298 rapes of adult American men occur annually. (Tjaden and Thoennes, 1998).
- Of female Americans who are raped, 54% experience their first rape before age 18. (Ibid).
- The cost of crime to victims is an estimated $450 billion per year. Rape is the most costly to its victims, totaling $127 billion annually. (Miller, et al., 1996).
|STARS Donation Form||75.2 KB|